How Much Would a Data Breach Cost Your Company
No wonder cyber security is such a high priority for your company! The average cost of a data breach is a cool $4M.
Now in its 15th year, the annual data breach cost report from the Ponemon Institute and IBM provides a detailed view of the financial impact security incidents have on organizations. In this year’s study, the total cost of a data breach averaged $3.86 million, down a little bit from last year but in line with previous years.
How long can it take to even identify a data breach?
Almost a whole year! The average time to identify and contain a data breach was 280 days in the 2020 study, nearly identical to the average of 279 days in 2019.
How can you help to prevent it?
Many if not most data breaches happen because an employee mistakenly lets the hacker in by clicking on an unfamiliar link or exposing the network to the outside world. Be very cautious when dealing with out of the ordinary emails and unfamiliar links. Follow your company’s guidelines when working remotely.
© National Security Institute, Inc. www.nsi.org
Recent SecuritySense Posts
- 5 Things Crooks Love to See In Your Social Media Profile
- FAQ: Security and the Cloud
- The Ransomware Perfect Storm
- Children More at Risk Online During Pandemic
- Going Back to the Office? You’re a Perfect Target for Phishers
- 5 New Social Engineering Tactics Criminals Are Using Right Now
- April Scam Watch
- Top 4 Emotions Used in Social Engineering
- Security Is Critical to Pandemic Recovery
- Using Instagram Securely
- Cyber-Bullying: Tips to Pass on to Your Kids
- The Offline Threat – 5 Old-School Attacks
- Anatomy of a Phishing Scam
- 10 Tips: Protect Seniors from Online Fraud
- Data Breaches: A Ticking Time Bomb for Consumers
- Rethinking Passwords in the ‘Brute Force’ Age
- The 7 Key Categories of Threat Actors
- 4 Things Your Home Office Needs
- Starbucks Safety: Security Tips for Public Computing
- Data Security: Myth vs. Reality
- 2FA: 6 Places to Start
- Are You Keeping Your CISO Up At Night?
- Protect Yourself: 5 Signs of a Phone Hack
- Insider Threat: Former VP Goes Rogue
- 4 Emerging Fraud Threats
- FAQ: When is a Credit Freeze Right For You?
- 5 Ways COVID Will Change Cybersecurity
- Top Tips: Improve IoT Security in Your Smart Home
- When Is Your Phone Too Old to Be Secure?
- Poor Security Habits Might Start Limiting Work From Home Opportunities
Protect Yourself & Your Company From Cybercrime
We Make it Easy to Promote Employee Security Awareness Throughout the Company in a Way That’s Well Received by Everyone
Content Needs a Strategy to Work
People pay attention to content they find personally relevant. Learn more about our content strategy
What’s Missing from Your Cyber-Strategy?
Awareness is a state of mind you’re trying to get you company into. Find out what really gets you there. Learn how to persuade people
Compare Our Per Employee Cost
Talk about cost-effective! It’s a no-brainer to add SecuritySense to your overall program. Compare our per employee annual cost with the $8.00 – $20.00 seat licenses you might pay for training platforms. See pricing